North American ATD6 Harvard Mk IIA
Serial No 88-9269
In 1978 the RNZAF put its Harvards up for tender. Inspired by the chance to have a really serious museum exhibit, the team put in a $2500 bid for one, and on 25 May 1978 was informed that, subject to payment within a month, it now owned North American Harvard Mk 2a, c/n 88-9269, RNZAF code NZ1012. Jubilation was tempered, however, by the fact that their trust had exactly $153.14 in the bank. But the people of Ashburton rallied in support, and in 24 days they raised the money. The Harvard was towed to Ashburton along SH 1 and parked up in a farm shed.
De Havilland DH-104 Devon C Mk1
Serial No 04427
RNZAF NZ 1829
Porterfield 35 W
High wing single engined two-seat cabin monoplane
Fuselage of welded steel tube, fabric covered. Wings spruce and plywood fabric covered.
Winspan 32ft, length 20ft, area 147sqft,
height 6ft 7in, max laden weight 1315lb.
Max speed 136mph cruise 95mph, stall 40mph
McDonnell Douglas A4 Skyhawk NZ 6204
Country of origin USA
Multi-purpose single seat combat aircraft
1 x 9300lb Pratt & Whitnet J-52 turbojet
Range 3250km; Max speed 1141 km/h;
Cruising speed 800 km/h;
Length 12.27 m. Wing span 8.38 m
weight empty 5252 kg.
The Skyhawk was designed by Douglas Aircraft's Ed Heinemann in response to a U.S. Navy call for a jet-powered attack aircraft to replace the older Douglas AD Skyraider (later redesignated A-1 Skyraider). Heinemann opted for a design that would minimize its size, weight, and complexity. The result was an aircraft that weighed only half of the Navy's weight specification. It had a wing so compact that it did not need to be folded for carrier stowage.
The A-4 pioneered the concept of "buddy" air-to-air refueling. This allows the aircraft to supply others of the same type, eliminating the need of dedicated tanker aircraft — a particular advantage for small air arms or when operating in remote locations. This allows for greatly improved operational flexibility and reassurance against the loss or malfunction of tanker aircraft, though this procedure reduces the effective combat force on board the carrier. A designated supply A-4 would mount a centermounted "buddy store", a large external fuel tank with a hose reel in the aft section and an extensible drogue refueling bucket. This aircraft was fueled up without armament and launched first. Attack aircraft would be armed to the maximum and given as much fuel as was allowable by maximum takeoff weight limits, far less than a full tank. Once airborne, they would then pro-
ceed to top off their fuel tanks from the tanker using the A-4's fixed refueling probe on the starboard side of the aircraft nose. They could then sortie with both full armament and fuel loads
The A-4 was also designed to be able to make an emergency landing, in the event of a hydraulic failure, on the two drop tanksnearly always carried by these aircraft. Such landings resulted in only minor damage to the nose of the aircraft which could berepaired in less than an hour.
Aermacchi Trainer NZ6404
Country of origin: Italy
Multi-purpose dual seat military trainer & attack aircraft
Cruising speed 800 km/h;
Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Viper Mk. 632 turbojet, 4,000 lbf (17.8 kN)
Never exceed speed: Mach 0.82 (926 km/h, 500 knots, 575 mph)
Maximum speed:898 km/h (485 knots, 558 mph) at sea level
Stall speed: 148.5 km/h (80 knots, 92.5 mph)
Range: 1,760 km (950 NMI, 1,093 mi)
Service ceiling: 14,630 m (48,000 ft)
In September 1972, Aermacchi was awarded a contract to study a replacement for the Italian Air Force's MB-326s, comparing seven all-new designs (given the designation MB-338) powered by various engineswith an improved version of the MB-326, designated the MB-339. The MB-339 was considered to meet the Italian Air Forces requirements while being cheaper than the all-new designs which resulted in it being selected to replace both the MB-326 and the Fiat G.91T in Italian service.
The MB-339 is of conventional configuration and all-metal construction, and shares much of the 326's airframe. It has a low un-swept wing with tip tanks and jet intakes in the roots, tricycle undercarriage, and accommodation for the student and instructor in tandem. The most significant revision was a redesign of the forward fuselage to raise the instructor's seat to allow visibility over and past the student pilot's head. The aircraft was fitted with a larger fin and powerplant for the initial versions was the same Rolls-Royce Viper 632-43, producing 4,000 lbf (17.79 kW), as fitted to the MB-326-K.
The first flight took place on 12 August 1976 and deliveries to the Italian Air Force commenced in 1979. Still in productionin 2004 in an enhanced version with a much-modernised cockpit. Over 200 MB-339s have been built, with roughly half of them going to the Italian Air Force.
British Aerospace HS Harrier GR3
British Aerospace (BAe) Harrier GR 3.
RAF Serial no. XZ 129.
V/STOL Tactical Attack & Reconnaissance.
All external armament. Built Jan. 1976
Powerplant: 1x RR Pegasus 11 Mk.103 (21,500lb)
Built Jan.1976. First flew 24th Feb. 1976.
The Harrier's design was derived from the Hawker P.1127. Prior to developing the P.1127 Hawker Aircraft had been working on a replacement for the Hawker Hunter, the Hawker P.1121.The P.1121 was cancelled after the release of the British Government's 1957 Defence White Paper, which advocated a policy shift away from manned aircraft and towards missiles. This policy resulted in the termination of the majority of aircraft development projects then underway for the British military. Hawker sought to quickly move on to a new project and became interested in Vertical Take Off/Landing (VTOL) aircraft, which did not need runways. According to Air Chief Marshal Sir Patrick Hine this interest may have been stimulated by the presence of Air Staff Requirement 345, which sought a V/STOL ground attack fighter for the Royal Air Force.
Design work on the P.1127 was formally started in 1957 by Sir Sydney Camm, Ralph Hooper of Hawker Aircraft and Stanley Hooker (later Sir Stanley Hooker) of the Bristol Engine Company.The close cooperation between Hawker, the airframe company, and Bristol, the engine company, was viewed by project engineer Gordon Lewis as one of the key factors that allowed the development of the Harrier to continue in spite of technical obstacles and political setbacks. Rather than using rotors or a direct jet thrust, the P.1127 had an innovative vectored thrust turbofan engine, the Pegasus. The Pegasus I was rated at 9,000 pounds (4.1 kN) of thrust and first ran in September 1959.
A contract for two development prototypes was signed in June 1960 and the first flight followed in October 1960. Of the six prototypes built three crashed — including one during an air display at the 1963 Paris Air Show.
De Havilland DH115 Vampire T11
The Vampire was considered to be a largely experimental design due to its unorthodox arrangement and the use of a single engine, unlike the Gloster Meteor which was already specified for production. The low-powered early British jet engines meant that only twin-engine aircraft designs were considered practical; but as more powerful engines were developed, particularly Frank Halford's H.1 (later known as the Goblin), a single-engined jet fighter became more viable. De Havilland were approached to produce an airframe for the H.1, and their first design, the DH.99, was an all-metal, twin-boom, tricycle undercarriage aircraft armed with four cannon. The use of a twin boom (similar to that of the Lockheed P-38) kept the jet pipe short which avoided the power loss of a long pipe that would have been needed in a conventional fuselage De Havilland initiated a private venture night fighter, the DH.113 intended for export, fitting a two seat cockpit closely based on that of the Mosquito night fighter, and a lengthened nose accommodating AI Mk X radar. An order to supply the Egyptian Air Force was received, but this was blocked by the British government as part of a general ban on supplying arms to Egypt. Instead the RAF took over the order and put them into service as an interim between the retirement of the de Havilland Mosquito night fighter and the full introduction of the Meteor night fighter. Removal of the radar from the night fighter and fitting of dual controls gave a jet trainer, the DH.115 Vampire or Vampire T.11. This was built in large numbers, both for the RAF and for export.
Scheibe Bergefalk Mk3 1951/1969
56 ft Wing Span
Found on the West Coast in damaged condition and on a rubbish fire. It was rescued by the museum and restored by museum members.
Beechcraft B77 Skipper
The Piper PA-28 Cherokee is a family of light aircraft designed for flight training, air taxi, and personal use. It is built by Piper Aircraft.
All members of the PA-28 family are all-metal, unpressurized, single-engine, piston-powered airplanes with low-mounted wings and tricycle landing gear. They all have a single door on the copilot side, which is entered by stepping on the wing.
The first PA-28 received its type certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration in 1960, and the series remains in production to this day. Current models are the Arrow and Archer TX and LX. The Archer was discontinued in 2009, but with investment from new Piper owners Imprimis, was put back into production in 2010.
The PA-28 series competes with the Cessna 172, the Grumman American AA-5 series, and the Beechcraft Musketeer.
Piper has created variations within the Cherokee family by installing engines ranging from 140 to 300 hp (105-220 kW), providing turbocharging, offering fixed or retractable landing gear, fixed-pitch or constant speed propellers, and stretching the fuselage to accommodate six people. The larger, six-seat variant of the PA-28 is generally the PA-32; earlier versions were known as the "Cherokee Six", and a PA-32 version called the Saratoga was in production until 2009 .
English Electric Canberra Cockpit
The English Electric Canberra is a first-generation jet-powered light bomber manufactured in large numbers through the 1950s. The Canberra could fly at a higher altitude than any other bomber through the 1950s and set a world altitude record of 70,310 ft (21,430 m) in 1957. Due to its ability to evade early interceptors, and its significant performance advancement over contemporary piston-engined bombers, the Canberra was a popular export product and served with many nations.
In addition to being a tactical nuclear strike aircraft, the Canberra proved to be highly adaptable, serving in varied roles such as tactical bombing and photographic and electronic reconnaissance. Canberras served in the Vietnam War, the Falklands War, the Indo-Pakistani Wars, and numerous African conflicts. In several wars, both of the opposing forces had Canberras in their air forces. The Canberra was retired by its first operator, the Royal Air Force (RAF), in June 2006, 57 years after its first flight. Two of the Martin B-57 variant remain in service, performing meteorological work for NASA.
De Havilland DH 100 Vampire FB 5
The de Havilland DH.100 Vampire was a British jet-engine fighter commissioned by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. Following the Gloster Meteor, it was the second jet fighter to enter service with the RAF. Although it arrived too late to see combat during the war, the Vampire served with front line RAF squadrons until 1953 and continued in use as a trainer until 1966, although generally the RAF relegated the Vampire to advanced training roles in the mid-1950s and the type was generally out of RAF service by the end of the decade. The Vampire also served with many air forces worldwide, setting aviation firsts and records.
Almost 3,300 Vampires were built, a quarter of them under licence in other countries. The Vampire design was also developed into the de Havilland Venom fighter-bomber as well as naval Sea Vampire variants.
D.H.82A Tiger Moth
The de Havilland DH 82 Tiger Moth is a 1930s biplane designed by Geoffrey de Havilland and was operated by the Royal Air Force (RAF) and others as a primary trainer. The Tiger Moth remained in service with the RAF until replaced by the de Havilland Chipmunk in 1952, when many of the surplus aircraft entered civil operation.
Many other nations used the Tiger Moth in both military and civil applications, and it remains in widespread use as a recreational aircraft in many countries. It is still occasionally used as a primary training aircraft, particularly for those pilots wanting to gain experience before moving on to other tailwheel aircraft, although most Tiger Moths have a skid. Many are now employed by various companies offering trial lesson experiences. Those in private hands generally fly far fewer hours and tend to be kept in concours condition
Gloster Meteor F8
Twin engined, low wing monoplane, all metal constructed, single seat fighter/ground attack, tricycle undercariage.
Engines-two R.R. Derwent 8 turbojets of 3,600 lb thrust.
Four 20mm Hispano No 10 Mk2 Guns
Manuctured by Morovan, Czech Republic 1986
Turbine-engined development of earlier LETZ37 Cmelak (Bumble Bee) radial engined aircraft.
Low wing, tail wheel agriculture aircraft
Walter M601Z Turbine engine, 520 h.p.
Hopper cap. 1000 litres
Transavia PL12U Airtruc
Wing Span 12.15 m
Length 6.35 m
Accommodation 1 pilot and 2 passengers
Hopper Capacity 1,000 kg
Range 1,297 km
Performance Maximum speed 208 km/h
Engine 1 x 285 HP Rolls Royce Continental 10-52-A
The Transavia PL-12 Airtruk is a single-engine agricultural aircraft designed and built by the Transavia Corporation in Australia. The Airtruk is a shoulder-wing strut braced monoplane of all-metal construction, with the cockpit mounted above a tractor engine and short pod fuselage with rear door. The engine cowling, rear fuselage and top decking are of fibreglass. It has a tricycle undercarriage, the main units of which are carried on stub wings. It has twin tail booms with two unconnected tails. Its first flight was in 22 April 1965, and was certified on 10 February 1966.
It was developed from the Bennett Airtruck designed in New Zealand by Luigi Pellarini. It has a 1 metric ton capacity hopper and is able to ferry two passengers as a topdresser. Other versions can be used as cargo, ambulance or aerial survey aircraft, and carry one passenger in the top deck and four in the lower deck.
The Airtruk is also sometimes known as the Airtruck. Because the name "Airtruck" was registered by the New Zealand companies Bennett Aviation Ltd and Waitomo Aircraft Ltd, for their PL-11, Transavia found another name for their PL-12 ("Airtruk"). July 1978 saw the first flight of an improved model, the T-300 Skyfarmer, which was powered by a Textron Lycoming IO-540 -engine. This was followed in 1981 by the T-300A with improved aerodynamics. Transavia ceased aircraft production in 1985.
At least 120 had been built by 1988.
Simmonds Spartan ZK-ABK
Designed by O E Simmonds of England in 1928 for 100hp engines.
49 aircraft were produced of which 7 were imported to New Zealand.
Most of the NZ ones were used by NZ Airways Ltd. (Timaru)
Cn 42 Registration ZK-ABN was used as the Southern Cross Kitten to accompany the Southern Cross throughout NZ in 1953.
ZK-ABN was rebuilt by Bob McGarry in Christchurch in 2006/2007 and it was sold to a museum member Mr Pat Scotter who is storing it at the museum temporarily. It is 1 of 3 left in NZ
Beechcraft B77 Skipper
Low wing single engine
Lycoming 0-235-L2C engine
Propeller - Sensenica 72CK/S12-052
The Skipper was conceived with the design goals of creating a low acquisition cost primary trainer with an emphasis on ease of maintenance and low operating costs.
Design work on the Skipper began in 1974 as the PD 285, which made its maiden flight on February 6, 1975. The Skipper was Beechcraft's attempt to enter the two-place trainer market with an aircraft capable of competing with the popular Cessna 150/152 line of trainer aircraft. First flight of its prototype was in 1975. Though the aircraft first flew with a standard tail configuration, by the time it entered production, a T-tail configuration had been adopted, giving it an appearance very similar to its close competitor, the Piper PA-38 Tomahawk of 1978 – 82.
Like the Cessna and Piper trainers which were its primary competition, the Skipper utilizes the Lycoming O-235 engine and features side-by-side configuration seating.
The Skipper wing utilizes a GA(W)-1 airfoil, specifically developed for low-speed aviation applications, based on 1970s NASA research. The aircraft was certified for intentional spins. While it is an all-metal design, the Skipper incorporates a number of innovative construction techniques, including honeycomb bonding, tubular spars, and a hot-bonded wing structure. The flaps and ailerons are actuated by torque tubes, rather than cables. The landing gear is mounted to the fuselage/wing junction, but has a 5.17 ft (2 m) wide wheelbase, giving it a "spraddle legged" appearance on the ground.
Douglas DC3 ZK-AMY
Owner - Southern DC3 Trust
The Douglas DC-3 is an American fixed-wing propeller-driven airliner, the speed and range of which revolutionized air transport in the 1930s and 1940s. Its lasting impact on the airline industry and World War II makes it one of the most significant transport aircraft ever made. There was no prototype DC-3, the first DC-3 built followed seven DSTs off the production line and was delivered to American.
A variety of radial engines were available for the DC-3 throughout the course of its development. Early-production civilian aircraft used Wright R-1820 Cyclone 9s, but later aircraft (and most military versions) used the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp which offered better high-altitude and single engine performance. Three DC-3S Super DC-3s with Pratt & Whitney R-2000 Twin Wasps were built in the late 1940s.
Production of all derivatives was 16,079. More than 400 remained in commercial service in 1998. Production of civil DC-3s ceased in 1942, military versions were produced until the end of the war in 1945. In 1949, a larger, more powerful Super DC-3 was launched to positive reviews; however, the civilian market was flooded with second-hand C-47s, many of which were converted to passenger and cargo versions and only three were built and delivered the following year.
ZK-AMY is owned b the Southern DC3 Trust and is regularly seen in the skies around the South Island.. ZK- AMY's permanant home is in the superhangar at the Ashburton Aviation Museum
Replica of Henry Mignet's 1930's HM 14 "Poi Du Ciel" - "Flying Flea" built by members of the Ashburton Aviation Museum during the 1990's from plans produced by John E. Roe 1935 .
OLB Bedford Truck x Airforce
Engine No 0/25/458
Chassis No OLB219465
Seating - 2 persons
Original Owner - NZ Air Force
Link Synthetic Instrument Trainer
The term Link Trainer, also known as the "Blue box" and "Pilot Trainer"  is commonly used to refer to a series of flight simulators produced between the early 1930s and early 1950s by the Link Aviation Devices, Inc, founded and headed by Ed Link, based on technology he pioneered in 1929 at his family's business in Binghamton, New York. These simulators became famous during World War II, when they were used as a key pilot training aid by almost every combatant nation.
The original Link Trainer was created in 1929 out of the need for a safe way to teach new pilots how to fly by instruments. A former organ and nickelodeon builder, Link used his knowledge of pumps, valves and bellows to create a flight simulator that responded to the pilot's controls and gave an accurate reading on the included instruments. More than 500,000 US pilots were trained on Link simulators.
Air NZ Forklift
Air NZ Tug
Ashburton Airfield Diorama
RNZAF Training school as it was in 1942
Stanton Sunbird Glider
Class1 Single Seat Microlight Motor Glider Stanton Sunbird ZK--JEA - Rotax 277. 28hp
Designed and built by Charlie W. N. Stanton, Nelson
Cruise speed - 90 kph
Wing span - 12.8 m. Wing area - 9.2 sq.m.
Weight empty - 142 kg. Payload - 97 kg.
Service ceiling - 1500 ft.
First flight - 26th Feb. 1995
Last flight - 16 Apr. 2005
Engine enables a take off and climb to required height, once engine stopped the propeller automatically folds and then flown as a conventional glider. The engine can be restarted in flight if needed.